Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Time for change....

Although The Shadow has not contributed to this blog as of late, it doesn't mean that The Shadow is not around... watching...

A recent Estate Sale demonstrated once again a serious problem that is growing... favoritism.

The Shadow has learned that a list was advertised as being "put out" at 6pm the night before the sale, only the list already had more then 30 people on it before it was ever released to the general public?! It is apparent that the Estate Sale playing field is anything but level and there seems to be plenty of folks angry about it. The Shadow addressed this issue earlier in the blog, but it is clear that the Sellers are not listening. It is time to make them listen.

Are you as a Buyer tired of always being far down the list, even though you were there when the list was put on the porch? Are you tired of Sellers putting their "good buddies" on the list loooooong before they even advertise the sale? Are you tired of the same people always miraculously ending up at the head of the line?

Then it is high time you let all of the Estate Sale Companies know it!

At any given weekend you can find a list of Estate Sale Sellers on www.estatesale-finder.com. Contact them through their websites and make it clear to them how you feel! Send them emails, every single day, until things chance. Demand a fair shake, demand an honest list... or better yet, demand the end to the "list" all together.

First in line, first through the door... it is simple, it is direct, it is honest and above all... it is fair.

The Shadow knows!..... Bwwwaaaaaaaahahahahaha!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shadow... thanks for this. It's been fun to read.

    I've done this for over 15 years, and have seen what you are talking about since day one. I won't be demanding anything though. I just quietly refuse to spend my money where I detect the favoritism and lists that are obviously filled with "friends". Just an FYI, it was worse when I started than it seems to be now, but it's still pretty egregious, and obvious. On many, many weekend mornings when I chose to wake at 6:00am, drive way out of my way, wait and wait... amounted to nothing. I wish I had a dollar for each time, I could probably buy myself a vacation. Heck, I've seen sweet old ladies turn into total bitches a cut in line on a name that isn't theirs. I've seen all manner of horrible behavior, and horrible people. Most are the "usual suspects" that I avoid like the plague. They win, we lose.

    I hear tell that some of the biggest spenders always get in early. Money talks, bullshit walks. I hear they pay extra for the privilege. So poorer, kinder people that play by the rules get screwed. That seems to be the way of the world.

    I'd like to add that as of late some of these estate sales are so over priced as to be laughable. I hope they end up having to take the majority to the goodwill because of their greed. Also, estate sales people, will you please make sure that you PRICE your items? It's a huge waste of my time when you don't. Also, if a line to pay snakes around and is a dozen+ people long, I will often put down whatever I was about to purchase and leave. It just isn't worth my time to buy those 2 or 3 items. Too bad the organizers can't be bothered to have someone who can take cash only, exact change, so the line isn't so long. You would think the obvious need for that would be apparent.

    I can't agree more about the list issue. I doubt anything will change though. The big players don't give a shit about fairness or the average person just trying to make a living.

    More power to you though-- Shadow. Thanks for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not give up, Annonymous. The Shadow understands your frustration, more then most, but giving up is just letting the bully win. The "Dealers" out there are simply not spending that much at these sales, certainly not enough to merit their hoggish behavior. After all, when The Shadow has shown up at sales many hours after they have opened and the dealers are all gone there is generally plenty of booty left. The first dealers through the door never clean out all of the items of value; quite the contrary, for the most part these dealers spend more time walking past the real valuables to grab the obvious and common. The dealers getting in first is not the issue, it is the method in which they obtain that place in line that The Shadow questions... as should everyone.

    Do not throw your hands in the air and walk off... speak up and be heard! Change is brought about by the people becoming one voice. Be part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Shadow for telling it how it is. I gave up years ago in the Portland area after being bullied in line over a list by the "GANG" I am now try try trying it again thanks for the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought there would be some feedback regarding the estate organizer who is starting to charge $5.00 a head to get into his sales even though he has presold the first 35 spots for a year in advance to his favorites. I find it unethical and greedy to start such a practice. By the time #36 gets into the sale everything has a sold tag on it...it is unfair and I believe the dealers who have agreed to pay him for this should be boycotted as well. Perhaps a few good cell phone pictures should capture these people and their shops exposed! I've been known to picket a few stores and I could do a few more if need be. When an estate organizer gets to determine my ability to compete fairly for a spot in line I think he has stepped over the line.

    ReplyDelete